Malvin Artley has been a practising astrologer for more than 10 years. He is an
accredited member of the American Federation of Astrologers.
Malvin is the author of Bodies of Fire: An Exploration of the Lesser Chakra System. He has authored numerous articles and was a member of the faculty of the University of the Seven Rays, a non-profit organization dedicated to the teaching of the Trans-Himalayan tradition as expressed through the books of Alice Bailey, Helena Blavatsky and others.
His primary focus over the past 25 years has been on the sciences as they express occultism and with bridging work between the two. His
special interests are the human subtle energy system and all
the chakras, or energy centres, physics and technology, astronomy and all
aspects of Chinese occultism. He has done extensive work with Chinese
astrology and the cycles they use and seeks to synthesize the great
Western and Oriental systems on such matters.
Malvin lives in Adelaide, South Australia. He also works in the engineering trades and sends out periodic emails about astrological happenings and developments. Click here to subscribe to Malvin's periodic letters.
The Wesak Festival [part two]
Subtle Meanings of the Full Moon in Scorpio 2006
Malvin Artley concludes his discussion of the powerful cosmic energies surrounding the Wesak Moon of May 2006. He outlines the important astrological features of the period and explains that this will be a time of sudden self-transmutation and the directing of our inner power.
There is a background energy we need to discuss that will be a key feature of this Wesak period, one that will underscore everything that has been discussed about Taurus thus far and especially about the symbol for the solar degree in the Wesak figure. As I mentioned before, Uranus has just moved within orb of its stationing degree, and it will remain there for about the next four months. During that period, it will station (appear to stand still in the heavens) from the 17th to the 20th of June. After that, it will slowly begin to retrograde (move backwards) until it leaves the orb of its station on the 11th of August.
It does all of this in the sign of Pisces – the sign of the World Savior. As such, it represents a great transmuting and saving force in the lives of humanity. Much that it will bring will seem miraculous until it makes its station. There will be flashes of sudden insight, unexpected windfalls of opportunity, both material and spiritual, and a fuller recognition of the Soul's gifts in the lives of every person, especially if it contacts planets or angles in a person's chart. After that, one can expect sudden reversals of fortune (seemingly) as the Soul seeks to impose a new rhythm on the lives of people during the retrograde period, which lasts until the 21st of November, where it again stations at nearly 11 degrees of Pisces. It finally moves off its current stationing degree at the first of March next year.
So, we can see that Uranus is going to be throwing us a few curves well into the next year, especially for those people who have planets around the 14th degree of the mutable signs. For those who have Uranus contacts with natal planets during the retrograde period, the reversals of fortune described will not be evidenced if these natal planets are retrograde themselves.
Actually, for those people, some very unusual and strangely wonderful things can happen as the energies of Uranus can thus be utilized to offset the normally inward-turned effects of those planets. For those whose contacts are to the luminaries and angles, however, one can indeed expect what might be perceived as reversals of fortune. It is all really a matter of perspective, as everything in the life of the Soul is beyond temporal measure and human reasoning. At the end of it all, a new rhythm will be imposed upon the lives of many as a result of the action of this Uranus station and the Wesak period. How will all this work out? Let us do a brief delineation of the effect of Uranus on the planets and the angles of a chart. So, Uranus in aspect – especially conjunct, square or opposing the following, yields:
- The Horizon (Ascendant or Descendant) – changes in self-perception/partnerships, sudden unions and sudden breakups. Great self-knowledge results from that, however.
- The Meridian (Midheaven or Nadir) – sudden changes in fortune and home. Relocation, crashes of businesses, new relations forming with respect to home and business. More than the Horizon, aspects here will give foundational change in a person's life. It will be markedly changed in a big way. It can also take one to their true spiritual group.
- The Sun – self-empowerment, independence, and being moved beyond what have been restricting circumstances. Major challenges to ego structures and the rhythm of life and nervous difficulties as a result. This is definitely a time to take things low and slow.
- The Moon – emotional shakeups and setbacks. The moon represents the past in esoteric astrology and Uranus represents all that is new. These contacts will break one free of the past, but that can be a painful thing for many. Sentiment is a thing difficult to release at times.
- Mercury – the best of the lot, because Mercury and Uranus are so compatible in many ways. Be careful of arguments and sudden outbursts with this influence. It can bring new ways of relating and absolutely brilliant insights into things, however.
- Venus – changes of heart, simply said. This can bring affairs and endings, new loves and the re-thinking of existing loves. It will also change many relations with groups. A new paradigm in relating and affairs of the heart with this aspect.
- Mars – new starts, sudden impulsiveness, the danger of accidents, both physical and emotional. Watch speed, take care around machinery and electricity and count to 100 before doing anything out of the ordinary. This is another aspect where rashness is to be avoided at all costs.
- Jupiter – sudden losses due to unsound business judgment. Organizational skills can be enhanced, but they have to be tempered with sound common-sense. Visionary and broad insight, although a little 'off with the fairies' with the harder aspects.
- Saturn – watch the temper with this aspect. There are foundational changes to the ego structure here, but it can also bring pioneering, eccentric and erratic behavior. The wise counsel of friends is needed with this aspect because the tendency can be for one to 'jump ship' under this influence. Obligations must be shouldered.
- Uranus – what more can we say? Expect the unexpected with this aspect. Watch for nerves and accidents with this aspect, too. Life can change suddenly and in a big way with this influence.
- Neptune – highly pioneering and individualistic thought. A tendency to go against the grain and expected norms of behavior. Remember the '60's?-well, this pretty well describes the mindset.
- Pluto – important changes in the established order. The rebel (with or without cause), power plays and games and a perverse pride in one's uniqueness. The individualist.
- Chiron – this is a tough one. It brings endings to intimate relations, sudden reversals in the realm of the heart and profound soul-searching as a result. At the end of it, though, it gives a toughness of spirit, a great capacity for healing and a change in life direction that will be more in line with what the Soul intended in life. In short, the lessons of sacrifice well-learned and the gifts of the Soul finally seen, if handled correctly.
This gives us a snap-shot of what lies in store for the Uranus station and retrograde period.
Finally, we move on to the consideration of the full moon figure for the Wesak period. The symbol for the degree of the Sun has already been considered. The Wesak Moon occurs at 4:51 PM AEST (6:51 AM GMT) on the 13th of May 2006. We find the following aspects in evidence in the figure.
The Sun/Moon axis forms a t-square with Neptune at the apex. It is a separating t-square, but still operative, nonetheless, especially since there is a Moon/Mercury opposition also with Neptune at the apex of that t-square. Mercury conjoins the Sun. The Mercury square is applying to Neptune. The basic interpretation of this – especially with Uranus in Neptune's home sign of Pisces – is that there will be an initial confusion regarding what is sensed around this period and a tendency to lose one's direction in the face of things. This will eventually bring great clarity as the issues are worked through. Mercury/Neptune square warns against miscommunications and self-deceit. Be prepared to expect the unexpected and many twists of fate in the weeks that follow. Many people have already noticed the dynamic beginning to set in. The forces of change are setting things in motion and many a situation will see a resolution in the coming weeks.
There is a separating water Grand Trine involving Mars, retrograde Jupiter and Uranus. This gives gifts in the realm of sensitivity, the ability to reflect upon experience, organizational ability and a pioneering spirit/mind. The trine is separating, however, and it has lost much of the steam it had around the new moon of Taurus. People born a week ago would have had a beautiful kite with the Sun involved with the Grand Trine, indicating self-empowerment and many new opportunities for growth and expansion. Jupiter retrograde indicates that the expansion takes place in the inner realms, though, and not so much in the world. For the Wesak period, however, this is a brilliant configuration, for that is exactly where we are supposed to be focused in the Wesak time.
Saturn is again applying to the opposition with Chiron, which will be exact again in late June. Tensions are starting to build again in the realm of personal relations and world affairs. Look more and more for upsets in the world and between people. The old 'heartbreak opposition' is waxing once again, but it holds us to being dutiful in our shared experience and eventually teaches us a lot about what it really means to feel tenderness for a person and compassion for another's suffering. Pluto is at the midpoint of a Chiron/Jupiter square, in semisquare to both planets. This will bring deep personal transformation for people and will teach us al lot about what happens when we give too much of ourselves and when we wear our hearts on our sleeves.
All other aspects are separating and have thus lost a lot of their punch except for the Mercury sextile to Mars. That sextile will aid greatly in business ventures and with negotiations for contracts of all types, both mundane and personal. It also helps a lot with transport and with the media, all of which will be needed with this Wesak period. Venus is sextile Chiron, which helps slightly with relationships of an intimate nature, but the Saturn opposition to Chiron takes a lot of that effect away.
The lunar degree and its symbol indicate what we are having to integrate into our psyches in this period. The symbol for that degree reads:
“A rabbit metamorphoses into a nature spirit.” – 23 Scorpio
This symbol speaks to the need for directing the baser drives within our nature toward higher purpose. The generative and sexual impulses within us carry a tremendous creative potency and, when rightly used, can carry us to heights of spiritual ecstasy and to a real refinement of our lower nature. Thus, the call to excellence made through the solar degree is mirrored in this one and we can see this Wesak period as one of a process of self-transmutation through the agency of life experience and its effect upon the basic drives in out nature. Experience is going to push us all around a bit, and in many cases we will never see it coming.
The basic interpretation of the Wesak period, then, is that coming events will lead people to stop and take a good look at their lives. It will also lead people to look for what is really of value in their lives. Impasses in business will not be solved for yet a little while. Initially, it will be a quite confusing period for people who are more sensitive. Outer events will seem askew and awry, and people will seem 'funny' somehow, with missed communications, false starts, seeming deceptions and a host of things that seem either just a little odd or totally outside of the norm. Neptune – since it squares the Sun/Moon axis in the full moon figure – always leads to great vision and clarity, but its methods and motives are hidden away in the depths of the human psyche and in the realm of the Soul itself. Imponderable at first, we are driven to understanding with Neptune (and thus through this full moon) because we are awakened to our hearts and by a real drive to understand things that seem totally outside the square at first. Thus ends our consideration of the dynamics of this Wesak period.
Years ago when I left the shores of the land of my birth to move to Australia, I knew little of what awaited me in this new country. Since arriving here, though, I have come to realize a deep and abiding connection with my wider spiritual group, both here and abroad. In the year of my leaving I physically left my past behind and started a new life. This year there was a psychic 'leaving' of the past for me and I now stand poised at the beginning of another future – one which will take me to the realization of another home – one in which my spiritual family dwells. There is great joy in that for me, and the events of recent weeks have given me pause to sit and contemplate how that will all work out. I feel very excited at the prospects, however, and I look forward to the magical unfolding of the 'new' path, even though it was ordained for me prior to my birth in this world. The Wesak interval is always a time of deep pondering, but also of looking forward and making bold plans for the future. The seeds are planted now, and they sprout forth and grow throughout the year and the decades to follow. May we all find the deeper connection with our fellow travelers in the weeks to come and commune together in that place in the heart where all is remembered and where all secrets must fade away. None may see those secrets except those who share the same secrets, because those people have all walked the same path with us throughout the centuries and know us most intimately in our heart of hearts. May we all find refuge in the sangha community!
The most joyous blessings to you all in this most sacred period of the human heart,
11 May 2006
Here endeth the lesson...
Return to the start of The Wesak Festival
Malvin Artley is an accredited member of the American Federation of Astrologers. His primary focus over the past 25 years has been on the sciences as they express occultism and with bridging work between the two. His special interests in those fields are the human subtle energy system and all the chakras, or energy centres, physics and technology, astronomy and all aspects of Chinese occultism.
He sends out periodic emails about astrological happenings and developments. These letters are sent out as a gift and a service. If you wish to be added to or deleted from the mailing list please let me know. If you feel inspired to pass them on please do so, but do so without alteration or charge. They are sent to people of many persuasions, not just astrologers. Blessings. Click here to subscribe to Malvin's periodic letters.